The City of Santa Clarita will host the 2013 Santa Clarita Marathon, presented by Parkway Motorcars, this Sunday, November 3. All participants must check in at the Health & Fitness Expo Saturday, November 2, at the Hyatt Valencia Regency between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. No race-day registration is available. The public can expect minor delays and rolling road and parking lot closures periodically from 2 a.m. to 2 p.m. to accommodate all races.
Due to the ongoing expansion of the McBean Parkway Bridge, residents are asked to avoid the McBean between Newhall Ranch Road and Magic Mountain Parkway on Sunday if possible. Detours will be provided for major road closures and the City is asking residents to plan ahead to avoid delays.
Most of the Marathon will take place on City multi-use trails to reduce the amount of street closures including West River Trail, South Fork Trail, and San Francisquito Trail. Residents are encouraged to adjust their trail usage until after the conclusion of the Marathon.
- McBean Parkway from Magic Mountain Parkway to Valencia Boulevard will be closed from 5 a.m. to 7:15 a.m.
- Westbound Valencia Boulevard will be detoured via Citrus Avenue to Magic Mountain Parkway from 6 a.m. to 7:15 a.m.
- Magic Mountain at Tourney Road will be closed from 7 a.m. to 7:45 a.m. Drivers should expect delays in the Industrial Center on Avenue Scott, Avenue Stanford, Avenue Rockefeller, Anza Drive and Avenue Hopkins from 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
- Newhall Ranch Road will be closed at Avenue Tibbits and McBean Parkway from 7 a.m. to 9:30 a.m., and one eastbound lane on Copper Hill Drive at McBean Parkway will be closed from 7 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
- Although Estaban Drive will remain open, motorists should use caution and be mindful of runners crossing the street from 7 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- The Cinema Parking Structure and Auto Center Drive Entrance at the Westfield Valencia Town will be closed from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. to accommodate race participants.
The Santa Clarita Marathon is now in its 19th year and draws runners not only from across the United States, but internationally as well. The Santa Clarita full Marathon is also an official qualifier for the Boston Marathon. In addition to the full marathon, the Santa Clarita event also features a half marathon, 5K, Kid K, and Mayor’s Walk.
For more information about road closures as a result of the 2013 Santa Clarita Marathon, visit SCMarathon.org.