Santa Clarita residents are invited to celebrate Independence Day with a series of patriotic events taking place throughout Santa Clarita on Monday, July 4, 2016.
Kick starting the celebrations is the annual Independence Day 5K and 10K, presented by the Santa Clarita Runner’s Club. Runners of all fitness levels are invited to join the non-competitive race along the Fourth of July Parade route. The 10K will begin at 7:00 a.m. followed by a children’s fun run at 7:45 a.m. and the 5K race/walk at 8:00 a.m. at Newhall Park, located at 24933 Newhall Avenue. Runners must register at scrunners.org.
Those looking to celebrate in another way can head to the annual Fourth of July Pancake Breakfast, hosted by the Santa Clarita Rotary Club from 6:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. in the Roger Dunn Golf Shop parking lot, located at 24200 Main Street. Pancakes, sausage, coffee and more can be enjoyed along with live music. Tickets are $5 per person at the door.
After the race and breakfast, residents can head over to Main Street in Old Town Newhall to enjoy the annual Santa Clarita Fourth of July Parade, which begins at 9:00 a.m. This year’s parade, themed “Volunteering Makes Us Stronger,” will be held in memory of Duane Harte and will feature Los Angeles County Sheriff Jim McDonnell as the Grand Marshall. In addition, the parade will feature horses, floats, music, classic cars, military presentations and more. For more information, visit scvparade.com.
The Independence Day festivities will culminate with the City of Santa Clarita Fourth of July Fireworks Show at Westfield Valencia Town Center, beginning at 9:15 p.m. KHTS AM 1220’s live soundtrack will complement the ambience of the event as dazzling fireworks light up the night sky. Due to the popularity of the event, guests are encouraged to arrive early.
For more information about the City of Santa Clarita’s 2016 Fourth of July festivities, please visit santa-clarita.com/Events or contact the City of Santa Clarita’s Arts and Events Office at (661) 250-3787.
- Market Street, between Cross Street and Newhall Avenue, will be closed after 5:00 a.m.
- Main Street, between Newhall Avenue and Lyons Avenue, will be closed after 5:00 a.m.
- Westbound Lyons Avenue, between Railroad Avenue and Orchard Village Road, will be closed at 6:00 a.m.
- Eastbound Lyons Avenue, between Orchard Village Road and Railroad Avenue, will be reduced to a single lane at 6:00 a.m., and will be closed at 7:30 a.m.
- Orchard Village Road, between Lyons Avenue and Wiley Canyon Road, will be closed at 6:00 a.m.
- Dalbey Avenue, between Orchard Village Road and Newhall Avenue, will be closed at 6:00 a.m.
- 16th Street, between Orchard Village Road and Newhall Avenue, will be closed at 6:00 a.m.
- Avenida Ignacio, between Dalbey Avenue and 16th Street, will be closed at 6:00 a.m.
- Newhall Avenue, between 15th Street and 16th Street, will be closed at 6:00 a.m.
- Railroad Avenue, Wiley Canyon Road (Via Princessa) and Newhall Avenue, south of Railroad Avenue, will remain open during these events. All roadways will begin to open after completion of the parade is concluded and all attendees and parade participants have been cleared.
- McBean Parkway will be reduced to one lane on the northbound approach to Valencia Boulevard, and southbound approach to Magic Mountain Parkway beginning at 5 p.m.
- McBean Parkway will be closed to both northbound and southbound traffic between Valencia Boulevard and Magic Mountain Parkway beginning at 6:45 p.m.
- Eastbound Valencia Boulevard and eastbound Magic Mountain Parkway will be reduced to one lane between Citrus Street and McBean Parkway beginning at 7:00 p.m.
- Westbound Valencia Boulevard and westbound Magic Mountain Parkway will be reduced to one lane between McBean Parkway and Citrus Street beginning at 7:30 p.m.