April 20, 2015
On Saturday, April 11, the City of Santa Clarita held its annual Earth Arbor Day Festival, presented by the SCV Family of Water Suppliers, at Central Park.
Thousands of residents throughout the day attended the festival and participated in a wide variety of fun activities while to learn how to stay green and keep the environment clean.
There was also a recycled art gallery on display, as well as a cArt aRt contest that showcased resident’s artwork on recycling bins. The grand prize winner of the cArt aRt contest went to the ‘Recycling is Awesome’ art piece.
A popular feature of the event is the free mulch and one gallon tree giveaways.
For more information and to learn about future green friendly events, visit GreenSantaClarita.com.
April 20, 2015
The Santa Clarita Youth Sports program recently added Volleyball to their Open Run program. Participants between the ages of 9 – 13 years old were able to come and play a protected, yet unstructured game of volleyball at the Santa Clarita Sports Complex.
Nearly 100 people were in attendance to play or support participants. Everyone enjoyed this open court challenge format, which focused on developing volleyball skills and showcasing player talents.
For more information about the City’s Youth Sports Program, visit Santa-Clarita.com/YouthSports.
April 17, 2015
The 22nd Annual Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival, presented by Logix Federal Credit Union, comes to Old Town Newhall this Saturday, April 18, and Sunday, April 19. For continual updates from the festival, follow CowboyFestSC on Twitter and Facebook.com/CityofSantaClarita.
There are certain tips and information that may be helpful, especially for new festival attendees:
Click to view interactive map.
- The shuttle site is located at Railroad Avenue and 13th Street in the City of Santa Clarita.
- The shuttle to William S. Hart Park is free and there is no on-site parking, so all attendees must park at the shuttle site.
From Interstate 5:
- Exit Lyons Avenue, proceed east 2 miles
- Turn left on Railroad Ave. & prepare for right turn.
- Turn Right onto 13th St.
From State Route 14
- Exit Newhall Avenue & stay to right on Railroad Ave
- Turn Right onto 13th Street, cross RR tracks to shuttle site
- Tickets can be purchased at the shuttle site. For a list of commonly asked questions click here.
WHAT TO WEAR
- We love to see our Festival patrons dress like the West!
- Festival presenters suggest comfortable closed toed shoes.
- Check the weather. While most performances are inside or under cover, much of the festival is open-air.
- 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
FOOD & WATER
- A variety of great food is available for purchase at the William S. Hart Park.
- Bottled water is provided.
- Guests are allowed to take pictures at the Festival.
- Pets are not allowed on the property with the exception of Guide Dogs or Service Dogs.
- Guns and knives, even if they’re decorative, are not allowed onto the property.
- An ATM is available on site.
- Beer and wine are available for purchase on site.
LINKS (Click for more information).
April 17, 2015
At Tuesday night’s City Council meeting, Mayor Marsha McLean and the Santa Clarita City Council recognized SCV Sheriff Volunteers Samuel Goldstein and Stephen North for saving a residents life while on duty.
The Council also recognized the College of the Canyons’ Cross Country Team for winning the CCCAA 2014 State Championship.
April 16, 2015
Get on your horse and ride down to the ‘Country Throwdown’ cowboy themed Senses block party happening tonight, April 16, from 7 p.m. – 10 p.m. on Main Street in Old Town Newhall.
There will be fun activities, food trucks, cowboy themed drinks and a live musical performance by Dawson’s Gang at the event.
Local businesses will offer discounts and specials throughout the night at the block party.
For more information about the Senses and future events, visit ThursdaysAtNewhall.com.
April 8, 2015
On Saturday, April 4, more than 30 volunteers helped out at the City’s annual Eggstravaganza egg hunt event at Central Park.
Before the egg hunt, 24 volunteers helped stuff thousands of eggs with donated gift certificates and goodies.
At the event, seven volunteers helped by spreading the eggs over multiple fields at Central Park and helped monitor the fields during the egg hunt.
Volunteers also helped spread more joy by assisting members of the Saugus Action Committee in handing out special prizes.
For more information on volunteering in Santa Clarita, visit SantaClaritaVolunteers.com.
April 7, 2015
The City of Santa Clarita recently installed a new shade structure over the playground at the Begonias Lane Park. The new addition will keep kids cool as they enjoy the park’s fun play equipment.
For more information about the City’s parks, visit Santa-Clarita.com.
April 6, 2015
On Saturday, March 28, more than 40 volunteers teamed up with City staff to begin the first phase of painting the Fallen Warriors Memorial Bridge.
Volunteers painted more than 1/4 mile of embossed City tree artwork along the eastbound bridge walls and bike trail.
The project is 30 percent completed and work will resume in early May.
For more information about improvement projects throughout Santa Clarita, visit SantaClarita2020.com. To volunteer for future projects in Santa Clarita, visit SantaClaritaVolunteers.com.